Sunday, November 12, 2017

Have You Forgotten Who I Am?

Have You Forgotten

Who I Am?

Hello. Remember me? 
Some people call me "Old Glory"...
Others call me the Star Spangled Banner
But whatever they call me, I'm your flag.


The flag of the United States of America.

Something has been bothering me...
So I thought I'd talk it over with you.
Not too long ago, people were lining up
On both sides of the street
To see a parade go by...
And naturally I was leading that parade
Proudly waving in the breeze

And when your Daddy saw me coming,
He would immediately remove his hat
And place it over his left shoulder
So his right hand would be over his heart.



And you, you were standing there...
Right next to your Dad.
You didn't wear a hat, and your little sister
Not to be outdone was standing right next to you
And both of you had your right hand over your heart. 

What has happened now?

I don't feel as proud as I used to.  
I'm still the same old flag...
I see children playing, shouting...
They don't seem to know or care who I am
Or what I stand for.
I saw an elderly gentleman take his hat off
But when he saw others with theirs son,
He turned around and slowly walked away.

Hey, I'm still the same old flag.


A few stars have been added 
Since those parades long ago...
A lot of blood has been shed.
Is it a sin to be patriotic anymore?

Have you forgotten who I am?

What I stand for? And where I've been?


Anzio, Guadalcanal, Korea and Vietnam?
Take a good look one of these days... 
At the memorial honor roll.
Of all the names of all those
That never came back.

They gave their lives for this 
For this Great Nation to be free.
Under God.

When you salute me,
You salute each and every one of them.
Well it won't be long now and I'll be coming 
Down the street leading that parade
And proudly waving in the breeze.

So when you see me coming,
Stand up straight and salute.
And I'll salute you by waving back.


And then I'll know that you remember.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment